Sunday, June 20, 2010

Summer Trip - Day 6: Budapest, Hungary

Wednesday, June 16th 2010

Today was my only full day in Budapest so I was hoping to make the most of it… Unfortunately I was woken up in the morning by thunder and it was pouring really hard.  After procrastinating going out into the rain as much as possible, I took my stuff and went to my other hostel.  This new hostel was nice inside… but the actual apartment building was ridiculously rundown.  Very very sketchy.

I then put on my Spanish jersey (don’t want to talk about the game) and started walking around the city in the rain.  I did what I usually do… just get a general idea of where I want to go and what areas/buildings I want to see and then just set out and start walking.  I ended up hiking up to the top of a hill on the other side of the river, which gave me a pretty good view of the city.  After walking around for a few hours, I went back to the same park as the night before to watch the Spain-Switzerland game.  I then made my way back over to my hostel to take a nap.  My train out of Budapest the next day is at 6:30am so I knew I wasn’t going to get any sleep that night.

In the evening I played poker (and won) with some other guys at the hostel, and then… to pass the time… went to go explore the nightlife of Budapest.  I made my way to a nightclub that Elan (who studied in Budapest throughout the semester) had recommended and ended up seeing a bunch of people from my hostel the previous night.  I also met a bunch of other people from around the world (including a bunch of Spaniards, who were easy to recognize wearing their football jerseys).

I then went home to collect my stuff and continue my journey.

1 comment:

  1. i like that you call various hostels "home"
    makes me laugh, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete