Sunday, July 4, 2010

Summer Trip - Day 13: Maastricht, Netherlands

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today was my first day without any agenda.  The only thing I knew I had to do was watch the US/Algeria football game… other than that, I slept in (I actually got to sleep a full night, in a bed) then went to Phil’s and hung out there for a bit before the game.  We watched it at the highlander  which was a little underwhelming because most of the American exchange students had already gone back home for summer (and the Baylor kids had class during the game).  There were, however, a fair amount of Britts in the bar and we got in some good friendly banter with them.

The game, as EVERYONE reading this and otherwise should know, was very nerve-wracking and dramatic and had me on the edge of my seat on every chance the US had.  Then…. THE GOAL!!!!! Just sent going crazy, jumping up and down with Phil.  For this World Cup I’ve been rooting for the 3 countries I’ve lived in: Spain, the US, and The Netherlands and while I’ve been happy about the other countries’ wins and sad about Spain’s loss… nothing made me more upset than the thought of the US getting knocked out of the tournament and nothing has made me happier than the US scoring in the 92nd minute to edge out England and win our group.  I don’t think I’ve been this excited about anything in a good while.

After the game we headed back to Phils to relax for a bit (although there was no calming me down).  I spent the next few hours talking to all my friends online and reveling in our victory.
We then went to Hendrik’s apartment to watch the Germany game, which ended in Germany winning their group and putting the US’s 2nd-round game against Ghana.  We later headed to the guesthouse to pregame… I went to the highlander again for the usual Maastricht bar-scene, then went back home not too late.

2 comments:

  1. I will seriously always remember this goal: where I was, who I was with, etc. It was one of the most exciting moments in my stay in Japan and perhaps one of the most dramatic in the World Cup. Who ever said soccer was boring?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete