Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summer Trip - Day 40: London, England

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

I checked into my flight fine except for one strange thing: I forgot to fully check my backpack before I checked in my bag and went through security, so when I put my backpack through x-ray it was flagged and checked out.  The woman who searched my back found a bread-knife that I had been using for peanut butter etc, a small pair of scissors, and a sharp knife (see picture).  She took the first two items but then opened up my actual knife, looked at it, and put it back in my bag.  The French sure are strange.

I flew into London-Stansted airport and got in the evening.  I was going to stay with Zarina in my time in London and I figured I’d take the metro (as I’d assume to be the easiest solution) to her apartment but then found out it was going to be 4 pounds just for one metro ride!! That’s 6 dollars.  In all my travels around Europe I don’t think I’d ever seen a metro cost more than 2 euros (usually it’s closer to 1).  So I took the bus instead. I dropped my stuff off at Zarina’s and then went out and met up with Miraya Berke (another friend in London for a summer-program).  Zarina had a final on Friday so she couldn’t go out.  We went to an American bar, which was a lot of fun.  Even though England technically speaks English… I still have such a hard time understanding strong British accents and it really is refreshing to hear American-English (which, and yes I know I’m biased on this subject, I swear is easier to understand).  The bar scene was fun and I got to meet a bunch of other Berkeley kids through the program Miraya was on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment